Monday 24 September 2012

WSP Future Cities: how the Buildings dress came to be

In the next few posts I'd like to share some images that explain how each of my pieces for WSP's Future Cities Came about.  First up: buildings. 

When I first started researching and brainstorming the idea of buildings, I went out on my bike armed with my camera and headed straight for the City to get my creative juices flowing. It's where some of the highest buildings in London are, as well as my favourite London landmark: the Gherkin. It ended up influencing the shape of the skirt section of this dress, which wouldn't exist without the expertise of Elodie Ganga, my intern over the last few months. She built the crinoline that sits underneath the skirt to give it it's brilliant dome shape.

I have also included an unexpected element into this piece, having experimented with crocheting into some lengths of chain I had.  I felt the 'hardware' element represented the idea of buildings from a different angle.





No comments:

Post a Comment